Apr 25, 2011

Of Men and Cheating

Ever so often I hear new assumptions about the male folk. Here are some of the popular ones.
#1 Though, they act all macho, inside they are such big babies.
#2 They are a fiercely jealous bunch.
#3 If he takes time off his game to call you, he loves you.
#4 The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.
#5 All men cheat!
Now about that. Do all men really cheat? Or like every rule, are there exceptions? And why at all, do guys cheat?
To help us understand this long standing "norm", I asked 4 guys the simple question...Why Do Guys Cheat? Here's what they had to say.

Guy #1:
Please understand that I'm not justifying any of the reasons I am about to mention/elaborate on but in my opinion if I'm gonna cheat it's gonna be in line with any of the following reasons:

1. The "sex" issue:
This is quite simple, if I'm not getting it from my girlfriend then I'm probably gonna get it elsewhere.
2. Hot Babe:
So if I'm getting it from my girlfriend who I truly and completely love then why would I cheat still? Because the babe I'm cheating with is a complete hottie and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sometimes we just can't resist adding that hot babe to the resume, especially if she's on the list of the ones that got away.
3. Moment of weakness:
Every man has that moment of weakness, this may be alcohol induced, hormone induced, environment induced (it may be raining outside) etc. At this point, he would not ordinarily cheat but the circumstances just stack the odds against him.

~Timi Adesanya(@TweetTimi)


Guy #2:
Guys cheat because girls expect them to cheat. Given, there's peer pressure from other guys everytime we share a beer(usually more than a beer), and we take turns to brag about our sexual escapades and conquests to (re)assert our masculinity. The question "why do guys cheat?" on every girls' mind/lips presupposes that 'all' guys cheat! Say there exists this group of guys who don't cheat; but for the fear of being perceived as "lesser guys" by virtue of their non-cheating ability, seeing as girls fully associate "guys" with "cheating"- are then subconsciously driven to engage in cheating for the sole purpose of validating the girls' pre-conceived notion!

~Niyi, 24 (Pragmatic)


Guy #3:
In my days in Unilag, even if i had a girlfriend I might still have cheated because it was the “cool” thing to do. Being a club boy wasn’t just by mouth you had to be a ladies man. By the way,there are too many hot babes around who throw themselves at club guys knowing they've been around (women should share some of the blame because saying NO shouldn't be that difficult).Sometimes, we cheat just because we want to forget any excuses. Besides, guys had to have something to discuss with their friends, so they make sure it aint just all mouth but ACTION. Oh by the way, we have two heads,aint easy controlling the two of em at once.(JK).Most of us just have sex,nothing attached to these things, but to call a spade what it is...it is cheating.
(FYI I have a girlfriend I love and I'd never cheat on.)

~Dare Aliu (@dreeee1)


Guy #4:
Meet Ebuka..he's 35...young, accomplished and married. Infact he's got a 2yr old daughter. He provides for his family to the best of his ability. Simply put he's quite well off. He loves his wife. Heck..he chose to settle down with her didn't he? Of course he loves her. So why does he cheat? Simple~ Because he can. He's used to his wild ways and adjusting to monogamy isn't as easy as it seems. He still hangouts on the occasional friday night with friends and he sees all sorta endowed ladies ready to jump at the offer of a roll in the sack. Why not? All I said was that he was married, nobody said anything about him being a saint. So he'd have the occasional fling. No strings attached of course. And he'd give the young girl 25k for cab and that's goodbye. He buys his wife an expensive bracelet to rid himself of the guilt. He swears he loves her. But a little fun doesn't hurt, does it?

~ Folarin Rowland (Happily Married)


So there people now you know what's on the mind of the average guy that cheats which #IMO (in my opinion) doesn't justify cheating on the guy's part or the girl's (don't even let me start on that)...its wrong and selfish...#DearFutureBoyfriend IT ISN'T EVEN AN OPTION!

I'd love to hear your views, do comment below.

(Ps:The contributors are merely proferring reasons to why guys in certain situations cheat, their responses do not necessarily apply to themselves.)

3 comments:

  1. I somewhat agree with niyi sometimes guys think that since girls expect them to cheat anyway they might aswell make good on the assumption.

    And timi, true talk...body no be firewood(ur first point).

    Dare another true point most guys in uni cheat out of peer pressure.

    Lol..mr happily married are u sure urself nd ebuka are not one and the same? (i kid)

    Ayaba great piece as usual. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do it. And i won't accept it. I am smart enough to avoid it when i'm in a committed relationship and i expect the same. There's no excuse to cheating. But sadly it happens. There's the ideal and there's the real. I won't condone it though. And in my opinion any man who does..loses respect in my sight. And thats a huge thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea peer pressure is def a huge factor,guys with too many friends are more liable to cheat- I carried out the research myself.Talking cheating,I think its way more than just sex.For me, the minute my nigga lol starts to exchange every 2hrs text messages and daily calls over quite a tangible period of time,I consider it cheating even if they haven't had sex.But sha sha most men cheat(it has nothing to do with how much they love their girl)and i think it takes true and sincere fear of God for a man not too cheat.But then again can you really blame them,there are female wolves out there ready to pounce on these men and many a time they tend to want to devour married|hooked men(that really baffles me) which is the reason why i don't think any girl should break up with man for cheating of course only if you know its not a regular habit because some niggas cnt be saved from cheating

    ReplyDelete