Aug 17, 2010

The Genesis

I can't pinpoint the exact time I fell in love with writing.
...It must have started with my fascination with words at the tender age of five...or in primary school where I aced all my spelling bees, most of them anyway.Perharps it was in high school, where Literature was my best subject. And English Language too. I bet the real romance started when I began writing notes to my mother, apologizing for some wrongdoing or the other.
Not to forget the many "thank you" notes, and also the ones conveying birthday wishes. And when valentines day came, who else would my friends run to? "Tomiwa please help me compose a message", they would say. And I,pen in hand, will gladly acquiesce. Of course there were the poems..messages on love, friendship and happiness. The little I knew on such subjects, I learnt at home and from the pages of mills and boons.
...Still I wrote...using phrases and quotes. Each poem having its own theme and complimenting rhyme scheme. Reading books was sure helpful. It fast became my solace-the plot, the words,the construction! Boy did I get on my sisters' nerves...oblivious to all and sundry once I was hooked on one.
As I grow older, I have come to realize that life is not all about fairytales and makebelief. You have to take the good with the bad. The sun won't always shine, sometimes it will rain. But both are needed for a rainbow.
...And so I resolved.
Rain or shine, I'll write.
...Afterall, it's my write!

3 comments:

  1. nice one.wish u d best in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tomiwa, you know what? today is just another happy day seeing another fellow of mass comm unilag coming to the international sceen, I'm proud of you. you can check my blog too: www.afrika247.blogspot.com ALOFUN OLUWATAYO

    ReplyDelete