Oct 8, 2010

50 years and 1 week

Today last week Nigeria marked its 50th independence anniversary.
Today last week the (social)media was filled with the independence day cheer.
Today last week our phones were flooded with positive messages about Nigeria.
Today last week the rumoured "N72million cake" was baked.
Today last week the 15 children kidnapped in Abia state were released.
Today last week I heard about the scramble for the 1st lady's brazil imported rice.
Today last week 8 people were killed in the independence day bomb blast.

A week went by...
And today I ask; where did the cheer and merriment go?
Today there is no one "reppin" or "loving" Nigeria on my twitter page.
Today I ask; who did eat outta the rumoured cake?
Today I ask whatever happened to our very own Nigerian rice?
Today I hear that just yesterday Borno ANPP chairman was murdered.
Today I hear there has been another kidnap.
Today I ask who really was behind the independence day bomblasts?

Today last week I was going to update an independence day blogpost...but it sounded too cliche even to me.
And today? Forgive me if this still sounds cliche..
Its only because the country appears to be a walking talking candle lit cliche.
You wanna know what isn't a cliche even though it might have been over-stressed?
Its the fact that things must change for the better.
But will sitting around making pronouncements change a thing?
Definitely not!
Now change is an effect of action.
Its our call to uphold the vision that reformers fought for 50 years and 1 week ago.
A vision of a truely independent state.
What we need is a leader who shares this vision.
Hopefully come 2011 elections he/she will have been identified and is goin to get my vote. What about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment